Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Great Grandma's Quilt

Wow, how cool is this?! My Grandpa dug this out of his crawlspace the other night for me. His mom made it, but we're not sure when. He said it doesn't look like her usual ones, because they were usually more scrappy. She used to first make her dresses from the feedsacks, and then with what was left, or maybe after the dresses were worn out, she would make quilts.


After a very rough and quick count, I found more than 80 different fabrics in this quilt. There is no border, but the top wraps around to form a border on the back, which is made from a large piece of green flowered fabric. It fits jsut right on our double bed.


The quilt is both hand pieced and hand quilted, though my grandpa remembers his mom sewing on a foot treadled Singer as well. A couple of the patches are worn through, but other than those, this quilt is in remarkable shape. If anyone has any suggestions on how to replace a patch on an old quilt, and also, on how to wash one, I'd love to hear them!! For now I think the quilt will rest gently on our guest bed... at least until anyone visits!

The pillow on the bed was cross-stitched by my Grandma from the other side! I love having all this family history right in my own home! And I do apologize for the striped baby outfit in these pictures... I know it's a bit overwhelming!

1 comment:

sam said...

That is such a cool quilt! I love all the colors. Hopefully it's not too fragile and you can still use it.